Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Pinky

I have officially come to the conclusion that animals (pets) ought to die of natural causes. I'm sick of taking my cat to the vet all the time, is that horribly selfish? Here's the deal, Pinky Pie Velasquez is 16 almost 17 years old, she has hyperthyroid with a tumor in her throat, liver problems and I have to give her 3 medications twice a day. I can't even add up how much money's been spent on veterinary visits, including one this winter to have the tip of her tail amputated because it was scraped clean of the hair somehow and we didn't want it to get jaundiced. She, among many other cats in history, would have died at least a few years prior to her actual day of death if allowed. Why put animals through this misery? If I were as sick as she was I'd ask to be taken off my pills and just let me die, for the LOVE! Especially if I were that old! However, I do like my cat, she is funny and humorous in her old age....she makes this crazy squeakie noise in her throat and her meow is all mangled for some reason.

So yeah, I took her to the vet this morning and it was just for a shot so I didn't get her cage out. She shed all over my car and me, I seriously looked like a sasquatch when I got home. My car is in dire need of a cleaning, too. But holding her while we waited softened my heart a little. In a sense it reminded me of how we are. Helpless, sick, people, with Father God holding us and caring for us even though we are as good as dead. But by His grace and mercy we are brought to life and have a reason to live and have new life and joy in Him. So....thanks to my decrepit old cat Pinky, for reminding me of the love of Jesus today.

4 comments:

Web Designer said...

Libby,
You are too funny. I won't tell you what Marty's solution to sick animals is...lets just say he grew up on a farm and nobody believed in vets ;-)
On a serious note - DO YOU WANT A KITTEN??? We have 2 that we need to give away. They are 8 weeks old and stinking adorable. If you want one, you may have one free of charge! The kids would be so excited if you took one!
Also - there is a place that you can go to get cheaper vet care - I found out about it when I inquired about getting the kittens/mom vaccinated & all that (which I have yet to follow through on) - I'll look up the info. for you, maybe save you some cash flow!
If you want a kitten - please ask. They are long hair, one is solid gray and one is gray and white. Very cute.

Kel said...

well, I use to always make fun of Pinky (sorry) But now I just feel so bad for her?/him?
also, I didn't know cats could have thyroid problems...facinating (and sad)

Kel said...

I'm sorry for the many years I made fun of the cats. I really do feel bad for Pinky, he had to get his tail amputated...I'm really quite sad for him. This is a new emotion (being sad for a cat).
I hope the rest of his years are peaceful. He'll probably outlive us all

alana said...

i am horribly sad to admit i was entirely too cheap to take my cat to the vet for his kidney stones or whatever he had. and now he is in a shallow grave in the flower bed of our old house. (dont tell the renters) i know. tragic.