Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ode to the Nub


Last night I was laying in bed thinking about how I'm not going to be at my mom and dad's house anymore...feeling kind of sad, I reached for my old teddy bear and tried to fall asleep. Yes, I slept with a bear, deal with it! Anyway, all last night and most of the day today I had a horrible anxiety in my spirit, which only comes when I'm involved in something new and life is changing. I've never been one who likes change much and as I've grown up physically, spiritually, emotionally, God has been gracious and helped me cope with change.

Life is so uncertain sometimes. With change comes new people, new places, unexpected events, unpredictable circumstances. All those things can be scary and sometimes hold us back from doing what God has called us to do. But change also brings new opportunities, a fresh outlook on life which gives us a clear perspective, and with new people and places come more chances to share the truth. Whether life is changing for good or bad one thing always remains the same, and that is Jesus. "Take your eyes off this changing world and turn them to the unchanging God". I can't stress enough how much that quote has impacted my life in times when life seemed difficult. It's even touched me when life was great! Through the mountains and valleys in life God is the consistent wind which blows and touches both places.

Ode to the Thumb Nub

Chopping away so smooth and swift,
Suddenly I slipped and I was sure miffed!
Oh what a shame to cut my thumb,
It hurt so bad and swelled like a plumb!
So there I was with blood abounding,
I ran to the sink, my poor heart pounding.
Yes I'm just a dame who cut her thumb,
I've been trained, too, so I felt really dumb.
Alas there was still much work to accomplish
So I put on 3 bandaids and a glove so I could finish.
Now I'm sitting here, my nub thumb throbbing,
No stitches needed so I won't be sobbing.
What a shame to cook with my thumb nub,
If you taste extra seasoning all I did was rub!
Call me sick but it's all a big joke,
I did cut my thumb but don't have a stroke!
In a month it will be healed and pain will scatter,
But tonight I'll take a pill so I can sleep a little better.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Libby I am so excited for what God is doing in your life!

ekgriffore said...

What is changing? I haven't been around in a while, so I don't know what the change consists of. I believe in you Libby, like I believe in faries. 'I do believe in faries, I do, I do (repeat about twelve... no thirteen times) I know change is hard, but it seems as there has been a lot of it lately. Maybe God has VIG plans for all sof us. Not only that but we can all help eachother through this changing proccess! I LOVE YA LIBBY! -Emily