Monday, September 24, 2007

Senses


I am officially ready for fall weather! It's so weird waking up in the middle of the night and being cold and then waking up in the morning and it's hot again....I hate that! You know in the Bible how it says "let your yes be yes and your no be no", well how come the weather can't comply?? Seriously, either be cold or be hot! Geez! I like the fall best of all seasons though, for multiple reasons. for one it's my birthday (November 2, mark your calendars...my roomies better do something sweet for me.....haha), and the typical things like the beautiful colors and wearing sweatshirts and jeans, snuggling up in bed at night and feeling so warm and cozy! Long walks on the trail and the park, watching football, going to the airport on October 1 to meet Frankie at the airport....okay so that's not an annual thing but it's something to have positive association with the fall for! I love bonfires and hayrides, the smell of burning leaves is really one of my favorite smells, and combine it with crisp autumn and and crunching leaves under your feet.....the entire thing just really makes me happy!

So I'm thinking about how the senses are so involved in every season of the year. The smells, the feels, the sounds, sights....even the tastes because of holidays....what do you associate Thanksgiving with? Turkey and mashed potatoes. Christmas? Baked ham and mashed potatoes. Valentines Day? Sugar cookies...and mashed potatoes. Haha, just kidding, but seriously, all the senses are involved. In my spiritual life I've come to realize just how much the senses are involved in my walk. There is so much more involved in our spiritual walk than we sometimes think. When you worship God you can FEEL His Spirit move. When you pray you can listen and HEAR His voice. When you read the word you can TASTE His goodness. When you live out your calling you can SEE how He works. When you lift your praises to Him your worship and praise is like a sweet SMELL to His senses. Or, you can smell the fart someone in front of you cuts but hopefully that isn't the case. Tonight I walked into church for youth group and my entire being was overwhelmed with excitment and joy for what God is doing in the youth! So my senses were overwhelmed tonight with not just the smell of walking tacos and adolescence, hahaha! I can't wait to see what God has in store for this season!!

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

We'll do something awesome for your b-day...no worries!

Web Designer said...

Good post Libby!
Love the colors on the blog - so fallish!!
Happy early birthday :-)