Thursday, December 20, 2007

Are You Serious?

Serious:
1.of, showing, or characterized by deep thought.
2.of grave or somber disposition, character, or manner
3.being in earnest; sincere; not trifling
4.requiring thought, concentration, or application
5.weighty or important
6.giving cause for apprehension; critical
I looked up the meanings for the word serious because someone asked me a question the other day about how serious I was about something. Actually they asked me how serious my boyfriend Frankie and I are and I said, "Very, very serious....we never smile...." Not really, we laugh all the time actually but it got me thinking about "serious". I love to laugh so sometimes I have a hard time taking things seriously. The definition I thought about was number 6, giving cause for apprehension. Sometimes apprehension is what saves us from ourselves. I've felt myself holding back in situations and I strongly feel the Holy Spirit has used apprehension in my life to tell me something wasn't right for me. When that disquiet moves on my spirit I know it is a "serious" matter, something worth thinking about, then I allow my apprehension to help me slow down. So, just some random thinking, next time you feel trepidation over something don't let let it panic you, just let it show you it's something you need to slow down and think about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"very, very serious, we never smile..." libby you are hilarious! this blog is so true though... i often find myself so focused on one thing that i don't even realize the the masses of other things God is trying to tell me to be serious about. even since i got home for break... God has brought stuff to my attention... i get caught in the mindset that if i'm using my time for ministry, i'm doing fine... but really i have to make sure i'm listening to God, and being serious about what He's serious about... but that's the great thing about God... He doesn't reprimand us for missing the boat occasionally... He always helps us get back on board!